I'm new! What do I need to know?
Welcome! Here’s the most important items to ensure a successful move-in. We’re happy to mail any of these you you if you prefer a printed version.:
- Your lease references the Tenant Handbook, ensure to read it thoroughly as it is an extension of the lease: skylinepmg.com/0/tenanthandbook
- State Law requires us to provide you access to the following publication, please review it: Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home
- Ensure to submit your inspection sheet to protect you at move-out. We need it within 7 days of move-in to be valid: skylinepmg.com/0/inspectionform
- Review your lease to see what utilities you need to move to your name (hint: its most likely PGE) we will need to assess a fee of $25/month for each time we need to pay utilities on your behalf.
- Access your tenant portal here to setup ACH rent payments, and submit maintenance requests: skylinepmg.appfolio.com
- Review the other FAQs if you have additional questions, or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I access the Tenant Portal?
One of our roommates wants to move-out, but we want to stay.
All roommates are responsible for the lease terms until there is an official agreement by all parties. Generally, the process is as follows:
- We can only inspect a unit and return Security Deposit funds when ALL tenants are moving out. The remaining tenants should reimburse the outgoing tenant(s) for the Security Deposit less any anticipated damage charges. (Unfortunately, we can not do any type of walk through or estimate of charges.)
- The funds already held on file will always be held for the legal residents of the unit.
- All roommates need to agree on the terms of departure, including move-out date, which items will stay and go from the unit, if any Security Deposit will be returned, how the final rent payment will be made.
- SkylinePMG will draft a Change of Occupancy agreement with these terms, and will have all parties sign it, officially changing the liability of the lease.
- There will be a $250 administrative fee charged to the unit to prepare the lease change. If you add a new tenant within three months we will not assess another fee at that time.
- NOTE: if the lease is month-to-month and one tenant wants to give 30-day notice, the remaining tenants must either vacate at the same time or take over the full rent while looking for a new tenant. The fee will not be assessed until a new tenant is added to the lease.
- To replace the outgoing tenant, please also see below: ‘We’d like to add a roommate/partner.’
To begin the process, email us at email@example.com detailing the items mentioned above. Ensure to CC all roommates.
We'd like to add a roommate/partner.
Assuming you are still in line with the occupancy requirements of your unit, its easy to add a new roommate:
- Once you find a good match, have them complete an application at: skylinepmg.com/0/apply. It will show our office address, so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can match it with your unit. They will need to pay the application fee, generally around $50.
- We’ll review the application and ensure they meet the same requirements as anyone that applies for our units.
- Once everything looks good all tenants will receive a Change of Occupancy agreement and a copy of the original lease, essentially adding the new tenant to the lease.
- There will be a $250 administrative fee charged to the unit to prepare the lease change. If you paid this fee for an outgoing tenant less than three months prior we will not assess the fee again.
- The amount each tenant pays is determined by the tenants based on room size, parking, etc. In rent controlled areas there are very strict rules about how to split the amounts.
- Please note that we do not allow sub-leasing as all tenants will have equal rights and responsibilities under the lease. Some “Master Tenant” rules will apply in rent controlled areas.
To begin the process, email us once you know an application will be completed at email@example.com and ensure to CC all roommates.
How can I find the most recent Tenant Handbook and Community Guidelines?
Please open the folder below to find the recent PDF version of your handbook. You can also request a print version by sending us an email, calling, or putting a note with your rent check.
What happens if we need to break our lease?
We understand unforeseen circumstances may require you to move off property earlier than expected. Here’s the process to ensure everything goes smoothly:
- Tenants are still obligated to pay all rent payments due in the lease until the next steps are completed, or a lease break fee is agreed to with the Owner.
- A replacement Tenant can be found to either take over the remainder of the lease, or a start a new 1 year lease (at the discretion of Management). Once you find a Tenant, they must apply here: skylinepmg.com/0/apply
- For an additional fee (between $2,000-50% of one month’s rent) we can offer our Leasing Service to help expedite the search by listing the unit internet wide, pre-screen the prospects, and complete the showings. (This is the same fee we charge Owners.)
- Regardless of who finds the Tenant, we do charge a fee (usually $250) to complete the new paperwork, lease, unit inspections, and finalize the change.
- Lastly, California Law protects you from being double charged as soon as the new Tenant moves in, however if the unit is rented at a lower amount than on your lease you may be liable to cover the difference until the lease is fulfilled.